Monday, June 1, 2015

Time to Eat Well

May 22, 2015


"I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love, and regretted most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them.  ~Nora Ephron
  



News from the Farm: It's Not Called Stinging Nettles for No Reason

It stings. It really does. Painfully so.  For hours afterwards. The New Land...is full of nettles & mettles.  Why did I sell my original acres again? 

I remember the thistle. In the beginning. Even from Illinois when my parents first bought their farm. My mother wanted to call it Thistle Down Farm (I think it was wishful thinking on her part). I can't even remember what they named it.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, my husband let me name our farm on my first whim, Hesperides Organica.   It sounded so great until an insurance policy came in as "Herpes Itis."  
 Very humbling to say the least! (Nature has a way of putting me in my place!).

But it didn't even matter.  Herpes be damned!  I had more immediate needs to attend to. Weeds.  Especially thistle.  It was coming up everywhere that first year. In every field.  I was ready to do battle until a friend of mine stopped by and casually told me of a story of a friend of his who too had thistle but didn't resist it.  He understood that the thistle was there for a purpose.  To protect the land while it was being neglected.  Not loved. Ah, I'm getting it. Finally...

It still wasn't easy.  It took a lot of tilling (loving) and killing the roots (negative thoughts and intentions) and persistence (just show up and join the CSA even if you doubt you can eat all the vegetables we have to offer!) and faith (most of all!).

But you know, it didn't take too long and the thistle wasn't even an issue.  In fact, I can't even remember it except abstractly.  The fields healed so perfectly.  It was like they (the fields and plants) wanted to please us.  To work with us. To produce the most hearty vegetables possible.  And they did!   And they let us Pick-(Y)our-Own vegetables.

Now, it's back to square one. Well, maybe four.  Fields.  And a new weed.  This time nettles.  Stinging nettles.  I know they are a great weed.  Nutritious.  Medicinal.  Tea worthy.  But very touchy. And so, I walk these new fields every day. Early in the morning and late at night.  Back and forth. Back and forth. Listening. Very closely! To their whispers.
To what they have to teach me! (The other day I fell down and got a huge bruise on my thigh!) This New Land is not so gentle or patient! 

It's time to wake up!  It's not a game anymore. And at the very least, we need to feed our bodies well.


Enjoy!

Lisa & Albert & Jacob & Tyler

P.S.  Two new Pickup Locations:  Teaneck and Ridgefield.   The 2015 form is on the website.  It's not too late to sign up! 

P.P.S. We're going to have a set schedule this year for Pick-Your-Own & Farm Visits: (we'll always have something to pick...just don't know exactly what right now!) but will post the dates soon.


Keep up with us on Facebook.  

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.